Microsoft Windows 95 Year 2000 Update
Microsoft released a Year 2000 (Y2K) update for thw Windows 95 operating system (April 1999). Previously there where only some small fixes available for the DATE & DIR commands (Command.com), but this update fixes many small problems.
To install the Update:
- Close all running applications (press Ctrl+Alt+Del and use End task, to end all running tasks EXCEPT Explorer and Systray
- Disable your anti-virus software
- Microsoft Windows® 95
- The Year 2000 Update will require approximately 10 MB of free hard drive space
- The installation of Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 2 is necessary for some (?) systems as part of this year 2000 update and will require approximately 72MB of free space for a Standard installation. You can check this page for more information on Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 2
You can download the Y2K update by choosing a Language version from this Microsoft page.
When downloaded, run the w95y2k.exe, and follow the instructions on your screen.
It is also recommended to make a new Emergency Startup Disk to reflect the changes made to system files. To do so:
- Insert original startup disk in your floppy drive (A)
- Select Start > Programs > MS-DOS Prompt
- Type Sys a: at the MS-DOS prompt (you will receive a message stating system transferred when process is complete)
If you do not have a startup disk, here's how to create one:
- Insert blank floppy into your floppy drive (A)
- Select Start > Settings > Control Panel
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs
- Click on the Startup Disk tab
- Click Create Disk
Note: Microsoft have confirmed that the Vdhcp.386 file may not be updated under some conditions:
- Your computer has Winsock2 installed
- Your computer has the Dial-Up Networking 1.3 Update installed
Your computer has the update referenced in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base installed:
194790 Windows 95/98 DHCP Retry Compliance with RFC2131
If your VDHCP.386 file is not updated, your computer may still exhibit the behavior described in the following section of the Y2kw95.txt file included with the W95y2k.exe program:
DHCP Virtual Driver (vdhcp.386) Winipcfg /all - IP Leases obtained on or after 3/01/2000 are reported as being obtained the previous day. The system date is displayed properly but the DHCP client reports a date one day prior.
The Windows 95 Year 2000 Upgrade is not displayed in the Add/Remove Programs tool after it is installed. It is not displayed because it should not be removed. To determine if the Windows 95 Year 2000 Upgrade is installed, see Microsoft's Knowledge Base Article Q231327.