Setting Default Explorer ViewBy: Arie Slob
Explorer enables you to set the view for folder information using the View menu and the toolbar.
From the menu select View > Folder Options and make sure that the check-box Remember each folder's view settings - on the View tab - is checked.
To set Explorer to show your Drives "collapsed" when first started:
- Right-click the Start button
- From the menu choose Explore
- Go to Start Menu > Programs
- Right-click the shortcut for Windows Explorer
- From the menu choose Properties
- In the Target: box, type: C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /E,/SELECT,C:\
- Click Apply and OK
This is the result:
You can even change the display order. Say you want to sort on (file) Type, and you want that to be the first column. Just click on the Type heading, and drag it to the left, then drop it!
Change the View setting in Explorer
Many people have reported that they change the view setting in explorer to the way they prefer, only to have it revert to a default setting when restarting. Here's how to let it "stick"
Open Explorer and from the Menu select your preferred View:
- as Web Page
- Large Icons
- Small Icons
- Now Select View from the Menu and click Folder Options
- Select the View tab
- Press the Like Current Folder button