Switching Num Lock OnBy: Arie Slob
The Num Lock status on startup can be set in the systems BIOS. Consult your system or motherboard manual for details about this.
Windows XP will however switch off the Num Lock key when it boots. In some cases it's enough to make sure that the Num Lock key is enabled when you shut down; Windows will remember the status of Num Lock, and enable it on the next boot. In other cases this may not work, and Windows will always default to switching Num Lock off when booting. To fix this:
- Start the Registry Editor
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Keyboard \
- Double-click the value InitialKeyboardIndicators, and enter 2 as it's Value data
- Close the registry editor
- Log off, or restart Windows for the changes to take effect